The CNCF hosts several stage productions a year. Take a look at our upcoming productions below:
CNCF presents "Let it be Art!” the extraordinary life story of the elder statesman of the American theatre, director, drama critic, author of the "The Fervent Years" and co-founder of the Group Theatre, Harold Clurman. The production runs for just two nights, March 27 & 28, at the Harquail Theatre. Tickets are available from CNCF (949-5477), Foster's Food Fair & Funky Tang's. Adults $25, Children $15.
Interview with Henry Muttoo, CNCF Artistic Director
• Can you tell us, in one sentence, what "Let it be Art" is about?
The dynamic, exciting, passionate and colourful life of Harold Clurman, one of the greatest stage directors, authors and critics of the 20th century.
• How did you hear about the theatre production "Let it be Art" and why is it important to bring this type of professional theatre to the Cayman Islands?
I first heard about it a few years ago but, more recently, I was contacted directly by Mr. Rand, the actor and former student of Clurman. Harold Clurman was one of the most influential American theatre directors of all time. While the play is about the life of a specific person, it is above all the story of a passionate, skillful, erudite and creative person, and so I hope that patrons will not only gain a better understanding of human nature as it plays out in the artistic temperament, but also the creative impulse and the sheer joy, passion and dedication that goes into making art.
• You mentioned that Harold Clurman wrote a book about theatre directing. How has this influenced your work as an influential artistic director in the Caribbean?
After studying many texts on directing, including many contemporary texts, Clurman's is still my 'bible' where the subject is concerned. It cannot teach you to be creative or even to be a good Stage Director. If, however, you are analytical, creative and excited by human behaviour and the actor’s interpretation of it on stage, you will find it very useful.
• Is this play for everyone? I believe the theatre experience is one everyone should have. My answer would be YES.
• If I'm new to theatre, will this production be of interest to me? Absolutely - if you are interested in a powerful and engaging telling of a good story about a very accomplished and dynamic man.
• Anything else we should know?
Definitely check out Ronald Rand’s website to find out more about this talented writer/performer - http://www.letitbeart.com
Rundown is Cayman’s rollicking comedy revue. Written, designed and directed by Henry Muttoo. Original concept by Dave Martins. Come and laugh out loud! To learn more about our Rundown production click here. The 2013 production runs April 25 to May 12, Thursdays to Saturdays 8:00pm and Sundays 6:00pm. Tickets: $25 adults and $15 children. Tickets will be available from Funky Tangs, all Foster’s Supermarkets & the CNCF Office. Call 949-5477 to reserve tickets.
If you would like to be a part of one of our stage productions, be it back stage or as one of the cast members, be sure to check out our casting calls page.
F.J. Harquail Cultural Centre 17 Harquail Drive
P.O. Box 30201 Grand Cayman KY1-1201 Cayman Islands
Phone: 345 949 5477 Fax 345 949 4519